Updated Information - Policies & Regulations

Updates since Spring 2009 are in red

Bachelor of Engineering Degree

For a Bachelor of Engineering, the first major must be an engineering major chosen from the following:

 biomedical engineering (BME), chemical and molecular engineering (CME), computer engineering (ECE), electrical engineering (ESE), mechanical engineering (MEC), or engineering science (ESG)

The second may be any of the following:

  applied mathematics and statistics (AMS), computer science (CSE), information systems (ISE), journalism, technological systems management (TSM), or any major in the College of Arts and Sciences or the College of Business.

            Note 1: Students who double major in a degree granting a Bachelors of Engineering (BE) must follow the DEC and general university requirements for the BE granting major.  Students who double major in Computer Science and a non-engineering second major, must follow the DEC and general university requirements for the BS in Computer Science degree.

            Note 2: It is not possible to have two engineering majors.

Sequential Bachelor's/Master's Degrees

Stony Brook offers Sequential degree programs as follows.

            Biochemistry, B.S./Chemistry, M.S.

            Chemistry, B.S./M.S.

            Computer Science, B.S./M.S.

            Computer Engineering, B.E./M.S.

            Electrical Engineering, B.E./M.S.

            Engineering Chemistry, B.S./ Chemistry, M.S.

            Engineering Chemistry, B.S./

Materials Science, M.S.

            Engineering Science, B.E./

Materials Science, M.S.

            Political Science, B.A./Public Policy, M.A.

College of Engineering and Applied Sciences Combined Degree Programs

Several combined degree programs are available or are pending approval through the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Please consult with department advisors for eligibility and specific program requirements:

Applied Math and Statistics, B.S./M.S.

Applied Math and Statistics, B.S./M.P.H.

Biomedical Engineering, B.E./M.S.

Mechanical Engineering, B.E./M.S.

Southampton Courses and DEC or Skill Designators

If a course satisfies a DEC or Skill, the DEC &/or Skill designator is indicated in the Course Description listings of this Bulletin following the course number (e.g. HIS 104 K&4 or WRT 103-A).

Courses offered in Southampton that are also offered on the west campus are tagged with a "-S" location marker on class schedule and student transcripts to simplify class searches and student enrollment. Courses with the same subject designator and course number offered on both campuses are identical in content and satisfy the same prerequisites and requirements for graduation. For example, ECO 108-F on the west campus is the same ECO-S 108-F on the Southampton campus. The "-S" location marker is only noted on student transcripts and class schedules when the course is offered in Southampton and is not noted in the Bulletin or Course Catalog description for the course. Course subject designators for courses that are only offered at Southampton do not carry the "-S" suffix (e.g. CSK, EDP, EHI, EHM, ENV, SBC, SUS).

Undergraduate Teaching Assistantships

Recognizing that teaching is a valuable component of learning, faculty members offer undergraduate teaching practica to permit qualified undergraduates to participate under faculty supervision in teaching courses. These teaching practica are intended to enhance the liberal education of the participating students by introducing them, under the guidance of faculty, to some of the aspects of successful teaching. Students receive academic credit for the learning and experience they acquire in undergraduate teaching practica.

Undergraduate teaching assistants must be juniors or seniors (U3 or U4 status), and have a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.75 or higher. Departments may have additional requirements.  Students with a  grade of Q currently on the academic record or a notation regarding academic dishonesty are noy eligible to serve as a UTA. A grade of Q which has been resolved (and thus no longer appears on the record) is not disqualifying. They must have demonstrated mastery of the subject matter by having completed and excelled in the course in which they will be assisting or in a similar but more advanced version of that course.

Undergraduate teaching assistants must not grade any work that contributes to the final course grade, although they may be assigned to read and criticize drafts of work that have already been graded. All evaluations of student performance that contribute to the final course grade are the exclusive responsibility of faculty and cannot be delegated to undergraduate teaching assistants. Undergraduate teaching assistants must not see any version of any quiz, test, or examination nor must they proctor an examination in the course in which they are assisting. Exceptions to this rule may be made only by special permission of the Office of the Dean and College Curriculum Committee.

To receive credit for working as undergraduate teaching assistants, students enroll in a department's teaching practicum, numbered 475 or 476. These practica are designed to broaden the students' knowledge of the subject matter of the course and to instruct them in techniques of teaching and evaluation. Students may not be given credit for independent reading or research for teaching assistance nor may they register in the course in which they are assisting. (Upon discovery of the awarding of such credit-at any time-it will be removed from the student's record.) Only Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grades are recorded in 475 and 476 courses.

Faculty members with either graduate or undergraduate teaching assistants must inform the students in their classes of the status of each teaching assistant.

Students may earn three credits in a department's course for undergraduate teaching assistants numbered 475. They may later enroll in a 476 course in the same department, if available, or in a second 475 course in a different department. No more than six credits earned through teaching practica may apply toward the bachelor's degree.

Writing Transfer Credit for D.E.C. A

Category A     English Composition

                        2 courses

The ability to communicate effectively in written English is essential to success both in the University and in society. Students satisfy this requirement 1) by passing WRT 100 Introductory Writing Workshop with ESL emphasis or WRT 101 Introductory Writing Workshop, and 2) by passing WRT 102 Intermediate Writing Workshop A or WRT 103 Intermediate Writing Workshop B.


1.         A score of 3 or higher on the AP English/Comp or English/Lit examinations, or a score of 1000 or higher on the combined verbal and writing portions of the SAT I, or a grade of C or higher in a college writing course judged to be equivalent to WRT 100 or 101 satisfies the first course of the two-course requirement.

2.         Students must begin satisfaction of the D.E.C. A requirement in their first year at Stony Brook and must take writing courses in continuous sequence: ESL 192/ESL 193/WRT 100/WRT 102 or WRT 101/WRT 102, until completion of the writing requirement.

3.         All transfer and re-matriculated students who have passed, with a grade of C or higher, a composition course judged to be equivalent to WRT 102 or 103 will have satisfied this requirement.

4.         College courses taken while the student was in high school may only be considered for equivalency to WRT 102 or 103 if taken on the college campus.

5.         Once matriculated, students must complete D.E.C. A at Stony Brook; transfer credits will not be accepted to satisfy this requirement after matriculation except with prior approval by the Director of the Program in Writing and Rhetoric.