Updated Information - Policies & Regulations

Updates since Spring 2009 are in red

Fall 2010 Updates

Absentee Policy

Students are expected to report for their examinations and major graded coursework as scheduled. If a student is unable to report for any examination or to complete major graded coursework on time, the student must contact the faculty member immediately. If the student cannot reach the faculty member, then s/he should contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies.

Although faculty will consider each student’s request on its own merits and not attempt to define ahead of time the validity of all possible reasons a student might give for missing an examination or the date to turn in major graded coursework, instructors are expected to accept an excuse of significant illness, tragedy, or other personal emergencies and to make reasonable alternative accommodations for the student. It shall be the student’s responsibility to provide sufficient documentation to support any such request. Accommodations for other reasons will be at the discretion of the faculty.

Double Degrees

Requirements within the minimum 144 credits for double degrees with HSC:

1) 90 credits in the liberal arts (i.e., traditional disciplines such as English, history, chemistry, economics)
2) 36 of the 90 liberal arts credits earned at Stony Brook (other liberal arts credit may have been transferred)
3) 15 of the 36 liberal arts credits earned at Stony Brook in upper division credits (courses numbered 300 or higher)

Note: Minimum HSC credits are determined by the department and school of the selected major.

Multiple Registrations for the Same Course

Repeatable Courses

Certain courses note in their descriptions that they “may be repeated once” or “may be repeated as the topic changes.” Students may repeat such courses within those restrictions and receive credit each time. All grades for such repeatable courses are computed in the student’s grade point average. Only courses stating in the description that they may repeated may be taken more than once for credit.


Repeat: to take a course again that IS marked as “may be repeated”.  Examples include topics courses, teaching seminars or internships.

Retake: to take a course again that is NOT marked as “may be repeated.”

1. Certain courses note in their descriptions that they “may be repeated once” or “may be repeated as the topic changes.”  Students may repeat such courses within those restrictions and receive credit each time.

2. All grades for such repeatable courses are computed in the student’s grade point average.

3. Only courses stating in the description that they may be repeated may be taken more than once for credit.

Repeating Courses

If a course is not designated as repeatable, it may be taken (at most) twice.

1.  Unless a course is designated as repeatable for credit, a student must obtain written permission from his or her general academic advisor to retake the course.  Permission to retake is rarely given to students who received a letter grade of C or better.

2. Students are considered to have taken a course if they remain in the course past the add/drop deadline, regardless of the grade assigned in the course (passing, failing, incomplete, or withdrawal).

3. Credits for retaken courses will count once toward cumulative credits, but will count each time toward semester load. Each grade received in the course will be averaged into the cumulative grade point average. A retake grade does not replace the original grade.

4.  A student who receives permission to repeat a course may not exercise the P/NC option.

Except during the Add/Drop period, a student who wishes to take a course more than twice must submit a petition for approval by the academic standing committee of the student’s college and for endorsement by the department offering the course. During the Add/Drop period, students may use the Registrar’s Office form “Undergraduate Permission for Retaking Course(s)” to register for a course repeated more than twice. as described above. This form is valid only during the first two weeks of classes, and must be approved by the department before being processed by the Registrar’s Office. After the Add/Drop period, students must petition for approval by the academic standing committee of the student’s college.

5. Students wishing to take a course more than twice must also receive approval from the department offering the course prior to receiving approval from their general academic advisor

Spring 2010 Updates

Financial Information

Students are responsible for reviewing, understanding, and abiding by the University’s regulations, procedures, requirements, and deadlines as described in official publications, including this Undergraduate Bulletin, the Student Handbook, and class schedules.

Charges are posted to the student's account at the time of registration. It is the student's responsibility to pay his or her student account after registration. Billing statements will be sent to the student with a due date for full payment or for joining the optional payment plan. All tuition, fees, and charges must be paid by the due date , regardless of whether a billing statement has been received. Student accounts can be viewed and balances paid by credit card or check on the SOLAR System Web site.

Failure to satisfy this financial obligation by the due date of the billing statement will result in late fees, and will prevent students from receiving transcripts, diplomas, and certifications, and from registering for future semesters. Nonpayment does not constitute official withdrawal, which must be done through the Registrar's Office. Failure to attend classes will not relieve students of their financial obligation or entitle students to a refund. The date of official withdrawal determines eligibility for any refunds in accordance with the schedule found under Refund of Tuition. All tuition, fees, and charges are current as of November 2009 and are subject to change without notice.

Payment of Fees and Charges

It is the student's responsibility to pay his or her student account after registration. After enrolling for classes for the fall and spring semesters, all students will be sent an e-mail indicating that the billing statement is available in SOLAR; instructions for making payments by mail, in person, or via the online SOLAR System at http://www.stonybrook.edu/solarsystem. All tuition, fees, and charges must be paid by the due date.

During the Summer Session, payment of tuition and fees is due on the first day of the Session. Winter Session billing information is available online at http://www.stonybrook.edu/winter/wtrmoneymaters.html.

Tuition, fees, and other University charges assessed on each fall and spring billing statement will be due in full by the due date appearing on the SOLAR account. All billing statements will be available in SOLAR. No paper billing statements will be printed or mailed.

Students must have proof of anticipated financial aid, waivers, or scholarships to properly defer payment. Without satisfactory evidence to defer, students are expected to pay charges themselves and wait for reimbursement when the financial aid, waiver, or scholarship funds are actually received. Students have the option to enroll on the Solar System in the Time Option Payment Plan (TOPP) while waiting for the financial aid package to be completed. Students should apply early for any financial aid.

Payments made by check or money order must be made payable to Stony Brook University, and sent to P.O. Box 619, Stony Brook, NY 11790. Any returned payments are subject to a $20 handling fee and may be subject to a $50 late payment fee. Mailed payments must be postmarked by the due date to avoid the late payment fee. Students are encouraged to pay by using the SOLAR System. Payment may also be made with Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. Payment with a credit card or check may be made using the SOLAR System at http://www.stonybrook.edu/solarsystem .

Students registering on or after the first day of classes are required to pay a late registration fee of $40. The late registration period ends at the close of the second week of classes.

Failure to pay the amount due on fall and spring semester bills by the due date will result in an automatic assessment of the incremental late payment and /or Administrative fee of $50. Incremental late payment /administrative fees, up to a total of $200 per semester, will be assessed on all accounts not completely paid by the due dates indicated on each successive account statement. Students should apply early for any financial aid in order to have their account paid before the University billing due dates. Late fees will not be removed because of pending financial aid.

Failure to pay Summer Session charges by the first day of the Session will result in a deferred payment fee of $40 per session. Unpaid Summer Session charges are subject to additional late payment fees. A schedule of the assessment of these fees is available at the Summer Session Web site at http://www.stonybrook.edu/summer/money/index.html.

The Student Accounts Office offers a Time Option Payment Program (TOPP). This program allows for the budgeting of expenses on a monthly basis. This is not a loan of any sort; therefore, no interest is charged. There is a semester processing fee to help defray the administrative expenses of the program. For further information please go to http://www.stonybrook.edu/bursar or contact the Student Accounts Office at (631) 632-2455. The TOPP program is not available for the summer sessions.

Students who fail to satisfy the financial obligations incurred at Stony Brook are not eligible to continue at the University or participate in room selection. No student may receive a degree, certificate of completion, or transcript until all charges due to the University or any of its related divisions are paid in full. Delinquent accounts will be transferred to private collection agencies and/or the New York State Attorney General's Office for collection, and are subject to additional interest and/or collection charges.

Refund of Housing Deposits

Each student is required to pay a $200 room deposit when requesting a future room assignment; this deposit will be applied to the housing charges. A request for refund of the room deposit must be made in writing to the Division of Campus Residences (by August 15th for the fall semester and by January 15th for the spring semester). There are no refunds of the room deposit after the start of classes regardless of whether or not the student is enrolled for the semester.

Fall 2009 Updates

Bachelor of Engineering Degree

For a Bachelor of Engineering, the first major must be an engineering major chosen from the following:

 biomedical engineering (BME), chemical and molecular engineering (CME), computer engineering (ECE), electrical engineering (ESE), mechanical engineering (MEC), or engineering science (ESG)

The second may be any of the following:

  applied mathematics and statistics (AMS), computer science (CSE), information systems (ISE), journalism, technological systems management (TSM), or any major in the College of Arts and Sciences or the College of Business.

            Note 1: Students who double major in a degree granting a Bachelors of Engineering (BE) must follow the DEC and general university requirements for the BE granting major.  Students who double major in Computer Science and a non-engineering second major, must follow the DEC and general university requirements for the BS in Computer Science degree.

            Note 2: It is not possible to have two engineering majors.

Sequential Bachelor's/Master's Degrees

Stony Brook offers Sequential degree programs as follows.

            Biochemistry, B.S./Chemistry, M.S.

            Chemistry, B.S./M.S.

            Computer Science, B.S./M.S.

            Computer Engineering, B.E./M.S.

            Electrical Engineering, B.E./M.S.

            Engineering Chemistry, B.S./ Chemistry, M.S.

            Engineering Chemistry, B.S./

Materials Science, M.S.

            Engineering Science, B.E./

Materials Science, M.S.

            Political Science, B.A./Public Policy, M.A.

College of Engineering and Applied Sciences Combined Degree Programs

Several combined degree programs are available or are pending approval through the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Please consult with department advisors for eligibility and specific program requirements:

Applied Math and Statistics, B.S./M.S.

Applied Math and Statistics, B.S./M.P.H.

Biomedical Engineering, B.E./M.S.

Mechanical Engineering, B.E./M.S.

Southampton Courses and DEC or Skill Designators

If a course satisfies a DEC or Skill, the DEC &/or Skill designator is indicated in the Course Description listings of this Bulletin following the course number (e.g. HIS 104 K&4 or WRT 103-A).

Courses offered in Southampton that are also offered on the west campus are tagged with a "-S" location marker on class schedule and student transcripts to simplify class searches and student enrollment. Courses with the same subject designator and course number offered on both campuses are identical in content and satisfy the same prerequisites and requirements for graduation. For example, ECO 108-F on the west campus is the same ECO-S 108-F on the Southampton campus. The "-S" location marker is only noted on student transcripts and class schedules when the course is offered in Southampton and is not noted in the Bulletin or Course Catalog description for the course. Course subject designators for courses that are only offered at Southampton do not carry the "-S" suffix (e.g. CSK, EDP, EHI, EHM, ENV, SBC, SUS).

Undergraduate Teaching Assistantships

Recognizing that teaching is a valuable component of learning, faculty members offer undergraduate teaching practica to permit qualified undergraduates to participate under faculty supervision in teaching courses. These teaching practica are intended to enhance the liberal education of the participating students by introducing them, under the guidance of faculty, to some of the aspects of successful teaching. Students receive academic credit for the learning and experience they acquire in undergraduate teaching practica.

Undergraduate teaching assistants must be juniors or seniors (U3 or U4 status), and have a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.75 or higher. Departments may have additional requirements.  Students with a  grade of Q currently on the academic record or a notation regarding academic dishonesty are noy eligible to serve as a UTA. A grade of Q which has been resolved (and thus no longer appears on the record) is not disqualifying. They must have demonstrated mastery of the subject matter by having completed and excelled in the course in which they will be assisting or in a similar but more advanced version of that course.

Undergraduate teaching assistants must not grade any work that contributes to the final course grade, although they may be assigned to read and criticize drafts of work that have already been graded. All evaluations of student performance that contribute to the final course grade are the exclusive responsibility of faculty and cannot be delegated to undergraduate teaching assistants. Undergraduate teaching assistants must not see any version of any quiz, test, or examination nor must they proctor an examination in the course in which they are assisting. Exceptions to this rule may be made only by special permission of the Office of the Dean and College Curriculum Committee.

To receive credit for working as undergraduate teaching assistants, students enroll in a department's teaching practicum, numbered 475 or 476. These practica are designed to broaden the students' knowledge of the subject matter of the course and to instruct them in techniques of teaching and evaluation. Students may not be given credit for independent reading or research for teaching assistance nor may they register in the course in which they are assisting. (Upon discovery of the awarding of such credit-at any time-it will be removed from the student's record.) Only Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grades are recorded in 475 and 476 courses.

Faculty members with either graduate or undergraduate teaching assistants must inform the students in their classes of the status of each teaching assistant.

Students may earn three credits in a department's course for undergraduate teaching assistants numbered 475. They may later enroll in a 476 course in the same department, if available, or in a second 475 course in a different department. No more than six credits earned through teaching practica may apply toward the bachelor's degree.

Writing Transfer Credit for D.E.C. A

Category A     English Composition

                        2 courses

The ability to communicate effectively in written English is essential to success both in the University and in society. Students satisfy this requirement 1) by passing WRT 100 Introductory Writing Workshop with ESL emphasis or WRT 101 Introductory Writing Workshop, and 2) by passing WRT 102 Intermediate Writing Workshop A or WRT 103 Intermediate Writing Workshop B.


1.         A score of 3 or higher on the AP English/Comp or English/Lit examinations, or a score of 1000 or higher on the combined verbal and writing portions of the SAT I, or a grade of C or higher in a college writing course judged to be equivalent to WRT 100 or 101 satisfies the first course of the two-course requirement.

2.         Students must begin satisfaction of the D.E.C. A requirement in their first year at Stony Brook and must take writing courses in continuous sequence: ESL 192/ESL 193/WRT 100/WRT 102 or WRT 101/WRT 102, until completion of the writing requirement.

3.         All transfer and re-matriculated students who have passed, with a grade of C or higher, a composition course judged to be equivalent to WRT 102 or 103 will have satisfied this requirement.

4.         College courses taken while the student was in high school may only be considered for equivalency to WRT 102 or 103 if taken on the college campus.

5.         Once matriculated, students must complete D.E.C. A at Stony Brook; transfer credits will not be accepted to satisfy this requirement after matriculation except with prior approval by the Director of the Program in Writing and Rhetoric.