Transfer Credit Policies

  1. Courses are evaluated individually. Credits for all courses passed with a letter grade of C or higher at regionally accredited institutions or recognized by the Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction of the State of New York and recorded on official transcripts are accepted and evaluated for applicability to specific Stony Brook degree requirements. Credits for successfully completed courses from these institutions for which a grade equivalent to "P" or "S" was assigned are also accepted.
  2. Graduates of SUNY or CUNY colleges who earned an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree prior to matriculation at Stony Brook receive transfer credit for all credit completed as part of their associate degree requirements. Official proof of an A.A. or A.S. degree must be submitted by October 1 if the student enters the University in the fall semester or by February 15 if the student enters the University in the spring semester.
  3. Transfer credit is entered on the official University transcript. Grades received for transferred courses are not shown nor are they included in the calculation of the student's cumulative grade point average at Stony Brook.
  4. Almost all credits earned at community and technical colleges are considered to be lower-division credit.
  5. Transfer courses are reviewed individually by the Undergraduate Transfer Office for their applicability toward fulfillment of general education requirements. Applicants who have completed college-level study at an institution outside of the United States will have their credits evaluated for application to the University's general education requirements by the Transfer Office. International students may be required to have their credits evaluated by World Education Services (WES).
  6. Courses satisfactorily completed elsewhere toward the intended major or needed to fulfill the 39 upper-division credits requirement must be evaluated by the appropriate academic department for specific applicability. No transferred course with a grade lower than C may be counted among the 39 upper-division credits required for graduation. Forms for requesting the evaluation of specific courses for major and upper-division credit are available in the Undergraduate Transfer Office and in the Engineering and Applied Sciences Undergraduate Student Office. Students may begin the evaluation process as soon as they accept the offer of admission.
  7. Courses taken at other universities and colleges in a technology curriculum will normally not be transferred as equivalents to engineering or applied sciences courses.
  8. Credit may be given for courses taken in foreign secondary schools having a thirteenth-year equivalent to the first year of college. Students who have studied in such schools should consult the Undergraduate Admissions counselor for international students before seeking a departmental course evaluation.
  9. Courses offered by regionally accredited colleges and completed while the student was in high school will be evaluated for transfer credit according to the guidelines in the "Application of Transfer Credits to General Education Requirements" section in the "Academic Policies and Regulations" chapter.
  10. Stony Brook University will award six credits for International Baccalaureate higher level exams with scores of 5 or better for year-long courses.
  11. Students will receive transfer credit for a maximum of four 100-level physical education courses.

Students who would like additional information should consult the Undergraduate Transfer Office.