Grading and the Grading System

Either a letter grade or status report is assigned each semester for every course for which a student is registered after the second week of classes.

The term "letter grade" refers to A through F and in certain circumstances to S grades.

All courses used to meet Diversified Education Curriculum requirements and courses used to meet major requirements, including, in engineering majors, the technical electives, must be taken for a letter grade. Students should consult the "Require­ments for the Major" section of their major for any exceptions to this policy.

Final grades appearing on a student's academic record cannot be changed after one calendar year from the start of the term in which the grade was assigned. Exceptions may be made if the instructor is on leave in the term following the one in which the grade is assigned or if the student is on leave because of disabling illness in that term. A final grade cannot be changed on the basis of work completed after a term has ended. Final grades appearing on a student's academic record at the time of graduation cannot be changed to any other grade subsequent to receiving a degree. Requests for changes to an undergraduate academic record after the degree has been officially granted will be considered only under exceptional circumstances within six months of the conferral.

A (superior work
B (good work)
C (Satisfactory work)
D (minimum passing credit)
F (Failing work)
I (Incomplete)
NC (No Credit)
NR (No Record)
P (Pass)
Q (Academic dishonesty)
R (Pending completion of
second semester of a year-long course)
S (Satisfactory work)
U (Unsatisfactory work)
W (Withdrawal)

Incomplete (I)

If circumstances beyond the student's control inhibit the student's ability to complete the work for a course on time, the student is responsible for informing the instructor of the circumstances immediately. At the discretion of the instructor, a temporary report of I (Incomplete) may be assigned, signifying that the student has been granted additional time to complete the requirements for the course. After granting an I, the instructor will set a date for completion of the requirements. That date will be no later than November 1 for courses begun the preceding spring semester or summer session and no later than March 15 for courses begun the preceding fall semester.

Students may not complete coursework for which an Incomplete was assigned by auditing or registering again for a subsequent offering of the course. If the instructor determines that circumstances merit it, the instructor may request an extension of the original Incomplete by written notification to the Registrar. This extended deadline will be no later than the last day of classes of the semester following the one in which the course was taken. Longer extensions for extraordinary reasons must be approved by petition to the appropriate academic office. If the work is not satisfactorily completed by the applicable or extended deadline, the final grade of I/F, U, or NC, as appropriate, will be assigned. The grade of I/F will be averaged as F when computing the grade point average (g.p.a.) or determining other measures of the student's academic standing.

Pass/No Credit Option (P/NC)

Within the specific limits noted below, a student may elect to have the final grade in any course recorded on the official academic record either as P (Pass) if the reported letter grade is A through D, or as NC (No Credit) if the reported letter grade is F. Neither P nor NC is calculated into the grade point average (g.p.a.). Students may elect this option through the ninth week of classes. Note: Most graduate and professional schools require that prerequisite courses be taken for a letter grade and many can interpret NC grades as being equivalent to a grade of F. Students should consult the appropriate pre-professional or departmental advisors regarding the implications of electing the P/NC option.

The following provisions reflect the intent of this option, which is to encourage students to explore other and sometimes less familiar areas of study.

1. ‑Courses graded P may not be used to satisfy D.E.C. or general education requirements.

2. ‑At least 100 credits of the 120 credits required for the B.A. or B.S. or of the 128 credits required for the B.E. degree must be passed with a letter grade (A through D or S).

3. ‑Election of the P/NC option is limited to the end of the ninth week of the semester as specified in the academic calendar at After the date specified in the academic calendar, no changes either to or from the P/NC option may be made.

4. ‑The P/NC option may be elected only once for a given course.

5. ‑Full-time students (those registered for 12 or more credits) may not take more than eight credits per semester under the P/NC option. Part-time students (those registered for 11 or fewer credits) may not take more than four credits per semester under the P/NC option.

6. ‑The Registrar does not communicate to the instructor of a course the names of students who elect the P/NC option.

7. ‑Majors and minors in the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Business, the School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, and the School of Journalism have specific restrictions on the use of the P/NC option to satisfy their requirements. Refer to the specific major or minor requirements in the "Approved Majors, Minors, and Programs" chapter of this Bulletin for details.

‑Students in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences may not take any courses in the major, including technical electives, under the P/NC option. Only Open Electives may be taken under the P/NC option.

8. ‑Courses for which the grade of P is recorded are not considered among the minimum of 12 credits required for a student to be on the Dean's List.

9. ‑Students may not petition to change a course to letter-graded after the deadline for changing courses to or from the P/NC option has passed.

10. ‑Certain courses may not be taken under the P/NC option, such as developmental courses, and are so noted in the Bulletin course descriptions.

See also "Limits on Course Credits and Grading Options" later in this chapter.

No Record (NR)

Students are responsible either for completing the required work in or withdrawing from every course for which they have been registered. If an instructor finds that a student appears on the final grade roster for a course but has no record of that student's ever having attended, the instructor will assign a report of NR (No Record). An NR may not be assigned for any other reason. If the student was actually in the class, the student must ask the instructor to correct the record by submitting a grade to replace the NR to the appropriate Committee on Academic Standing and Appeals. If the student was not actually in the class and receives a report of NR, the student must petition the appropriate Committee on Academic Standing and Appeals for a retroactive withdrawal from the course.

Grades of NR which have not been replaced by a final grade or by a W by the end of the ninth week of the fall semester (for spring NR grades) or by the end of the ninth week of the spring semester (for fall NR grades) will be converted to one of the following grades: N/F for letter-graded courses, N/U for courses graded A-C/U or S/U, or N/C for courses taken under the Pass/No Credit option. The grade of N/F will be treated as a failure for the purposes of academic standing and will be averaged as an F when the student's g.p.a. is computed.

Q Grade

A grade of Q is assigned to a student found guilty of academic dishonesty. The Q remains on the transcript and is computed in the g.p.a. as a grade of F. Students who have a single finding of dishonesty may have the Q replaced by a letter grade determined by the instructor after satisfactory completion of a non-credit seminar addressing issues of academic dishonesty unless the applicable academic judiciary committee determines otherwise. Rescinded Q grades may be reinstated if there is a new finding of academic dishonesty.

Registered (R)

Some courses, chiefly senior honors projects numbered 495-496, are designated year-long courses. The final grade and credits for the course are assigned only after completion of both semesters.  Instructors submit a report of R (Registered) at the end of the first semester. A final grade and credits for the combined semesters' work are recorded at the end of the second semester. An R will also be given in certain ­courses where the final grade will be delayed because the coursework was done at a location remote from the campus. For the purposes of academic standing an R is treated as if it were a P.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U)

Satisfactory/UnSatisfactory (S/U)

A    4.00 B-   2.67 D+   1.33
A-   3.67 C+   2.33 D    1.00
B+   3..33 C    2.00 F    0.00
B     3.00 C-   1.67 Q    0.00

Calculate the Quality Points for each course by multiplying the Point value of the grade by the total number of Credits for the course

Grade Point
A 4.00 X 3 = 12
B 3.00 X 4 = 12
C+ 2.33 X 3 = 6.99
D 1.00 X 3 = 3
F 0.00 X 3 = 0
      ______   _____
Total     16   33.99

Next, calculate the g.p.a by dividing the total Quality Points by the total number of Credits Attempted(including F grades).
33.99/16 = 2.12
Semester g.p.a = 2.12

Some courses are designated as S/U grading and students will not receive a letter grade (A through F) for them. Students may not elect to take such courses under the Pass/No Credit option.

S/U grading is not calculated into the grade point average (g.p.a.). Courses with S/U grading are counted among the 100 credits required for the degree that must be taken for a letter grade. They also apply to the criteria for Dean's List.

Withdrawal (W)

A mark of W is recorded when the student withdraws from a course after the first ten days of classes. The W is used to indicate that the student withdrew after the end of the add/drop period. The W is not calculated into the grade point average (g.p.a.).

Semester Grade Reports

Grade reports are prepared shortly after the conclusion of each semester and are accessible through the SOLAR System.  Note: Although credit for repeated courses is included in the total semester credits, only credit for approved repeated courses will ultimately count toward graduation. See the entries "Retaking Courses" and "Repeatable Courses" later in this chapter for more information.

Grade Point Average (g.p.a.)

For the purpose of determining grade point average, grades are assigned point values as follows:

The following grade reports are not calculated into the g.p.a.: P, NC, NR, R, S, U, W

Grades for courses transferred from other institutions do not affect the grade point average. Grades earned in developmental courses are not calculated in the cumulative g.p.a.

Class Standing

A student's class standing is based on the number of credits earned before the beginning of each semester, as follows:

U1 Freshman                           0-23 credits

U2 Sophomore                       24-56 credits

U3 Junior                               57-84 credits

U4 Senior                              85 credits or more