Admission of International Students

Early completion of the application is crucial. International applicants should keep in mind the following deadlines for completed applications: for the fall semester the deadline is March 1; for the spring semester, it is October 1.

Original certified transcripts with grades from secondary school and college courses are required. These transcripts must be in the original language and accompanied by an English translation with an explanation of the marking system. Secondary school records must reflect academic achievement equivalent to the minimum for admission when converted to the American grading scale. A minimum g.p.a. of 3.00 is required of international students who wish to transfer from other colleges in the United States. A minimum of one full year of study in a parallel program reflecting a g.p.a. of 3.00 or higher is required of transfer applicants whose secondary school achievement falls below the standard required for freshman admission (See transfer credit policies).

All persons whose native language is not English are required to demonstrate English proficiency by satisfying one of the following:

  • TOEFL minimum score of 550 PBT (paper-based test)
  • TOEFL minimum score of 213 CBT (computer-based test)
  • TOEFL minimum score of 80 IBT
  • SAT Critical Reading score of 430 or higher
  • IELTS score of 6.5 or higher
  • Proof of attendance at Stony Brook's Intensive English Language Center with completion of the advanced level.
  • For transfers, completion of an English composition or writing class with a grade of C (2.0) or higher at a college or university within the U.S.

It is also necessary to provide financial documentation, which indicates that the applicant's sponsor(s) has sufficient funding to pay for all educational and personal expenses while in the United States. The amount considered as sufficient funding may vary from year to year. For forms and details, visit

It is assumed that all international students require on-campus housing unless documented evidence of alternate living arrangements is filed with the application.