Transferring Coursework After Matriculation

Study at Other Institutions

For transfer credit policies on coursework taken prior to matriculation, see Transfer Credit Policies and Application of Transfer Credits to General Education Requirements.

Students who wish to transfer credit from other institutions after matriculation at Stony Brook must study at a regionally accredited institution and earn a grade of C or higher in any course taken. In addition, if the student plans to transfer courses from an institution for which printed transfer equivalencies are not available (i.e., published Transfer Credit Guides and printed transfer equivalency sheets), the student must secure prior formal ap­pro­val from the University. The Undergrad­u­ate Trans­fer Office maintains Transfer Credit Guides to selected schools with course equivalencies to Stony Brook offerings. These Guides are available at the Transfer Office or on its Web site at Forms for securing prior approval are also available in the Undergraduate Transfer Office.Students must arrange to have official transcripts sent to the University upon completion of courses taken.

Currently enrolled students in the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, the School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, or the School of Journalism should consult with the Undergraduate Transfer Office before taking general education or elective courses elsewhere. Students who plan to transfer courses toward major requirements should get prior approval from the major department. Engineering and Applied Sciences students must receive a departmental advisor’s approval before taking a course elsewhere.

Summer Study Elsewhere

To ensure that courses will be fully acceptable for transfer credit, students planning to take summer courses elsewhere should discuss their plans in advance with both the appropriate departmental academic advisor and Stony Brook’s Undergraduate Transfer Office. If the student plans to transfer courses from an institution for which printed transfer equivalencies are not available, the student should secure prior approval for courses toward major requirements from the major department, and for courses toward general education requirements and elective credit from the Transfer Office. After the University receives an official transcript indicating that the student has completed the courses with grades of C or higher, appropriate transfer credit will be noted on the student’s academic record.