Degree Requirements - Art History and Criticism; Art Studio
Requirements for the Major in Studio Art (ARS)
The major in Studio Art leads to the Bachelor of Arts degree. All courses offered for the major must be passed with a letter grade of C or higher. Completion of the major requires 57 credits.
1. Two introductory art history courses:
- ARH 101 Art in Culture from Prehistoric Times to the Age of the Cathedrals, ca. 1400 A.D.
- ARH 102 Art in Culture from the Early Renaissance, ca. 1400, to Postmodernism
2. ARS 154 Foundations of Drawing
3. ARS 225 Introductory Electronic Media
4. At least six additional credits in art history/criticism, of which at least three must be in modern (i.e., one course from ARH 322, 324, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 342, 344, 345)
5. Thirty-nine additional credits in studio art. Fifteen of the required studio credits must be in upper-division courses and twelve must be in one of the following areas of concentration:
1. Painting, Drawing, and Printmaking: ARS 255, 274, 350, 351, 352, 359, 374, 375, 452, 471, 472
2. Digital Arts and Photography: ARS 208, 225, 281, 317, 318, 325, 326, 327, 328, 341, 381, 425, 481, 482
3. Sculpture and Ceramic Sculpture: ARS 256, 264, 364, 365, 366, 465, 466
4. Additional Advanced Study: ARS 475, 476, 487, 488, 491, 492, 495
6. Upper-Division Writing Requirement:
Students must demonstrate acceptable writing skills before they graduate. Before the end of the second semester of his or her junior year, each student majoring in Studio Art must submit to the director of undergraduate studies three term papers (minimum of 5 pages) together with each instructor’s satisfactory evaluation, confirming that the paper demonstrates advanced writing proficiency suitable for studio art majors. At least two papers must be from ARH upper-division courses and from different instructors. The third paper can be from ARS or a lower division course. The student must notify the instructor before each paper is turned in that it is intended to satisfy this requirement in addition to the course requirements. A student anticipating or experiencing difficulty in satisfying this requirement should seek the advice of the director of undergraduate studies as soon as possible.
Art Department Residency Requirement
Studio Art transfer students must take at least 18 upper division ARS credits for the major at Stony Brook.
Honors Program in Art
The honors program is open to seniors majoring in Art History and Criticism or Studio Art who have maintained a grade point average of at least 3.00 overall and 3.50 in the major. The student should apply for the honors program before the beginning of the senior year. The student must find a faculty member of the Department to act as sponsor. The student, with the approval of the sponsor, must submit a proposal of a project, in writing, to the Department. Acceptance into the honors program depends on the approval of the proposal by the Department. Selected students for the program must enroll in ARH 495 or ARS 495 for the semester in which they pursue their project.
In the art history/criticism field, the student’s research project is supervised by the honors advisor. In the studio art field, the student is expected to prepare a small one-person show or similar project (i.e., one large, more ambitious work) in lieu of a thesis, under the supervision of the honors advisor. The student’s project is judged by a jury composed of at least two members of the Department of Art and a faculty member from another department. This pertains to students in both the Art History and Criticism and Studio Art majors. If the honors program is completed with distinction, and the student achieves a 3.50 grade point average in all art courses taken in the senior year, honors are conferred.Requirements for the Minor in Studio Art (ARS)
All courses offered for the minor must be passed with a letter grade of C or higher. Completion of the minor in Studio Art requires 21 credits.
1. ARS 154 Foundations of Drawing
2. Eighteen additional studio credits, of which at least nine must be upper division