Pre-Application Requirements for the Major in Occupational Therapy
Note that admission to the M.S. in Occupational Therapy program now requires completion of Bachelor's degree program and the following:
1. 3 credits of English composition
2. 6 credits in the arts and/or humanities, excluding studio, skills, and techniques courses
3. 9 credits of Social and Behavioral Sciences (must include Introduction to Psychology and Abnormal Psychology and either Introduction to Sociology or Introduction to Cultural Anthropology.
4. 8 credits of biology and 4 credits of anatomy, or 4 credits of biology and 8 credits of anatomy & physiology
5. 3 credits of Statistics
6. 4 credits of Chemistry with laboratories (must be courses designated for science majors)
7. 4 credits of Physics with laboratories (must be courses designated for science majors)
8. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation and first-aid certification
9. A minimum of 40 hours experience observing occupational therapy treatment in two different settings (outpatient rehabilitation, developmental disabilities, acute care, nursing homes, and schools) under the supervision of an occupational therapist (OTR)
10. 2.50 g.p.a. (Preference is given to students with a 3.00 g.p.a. or higher)
2. Preference is given to students who have completed science requirements within the last ten years.
For more information, please visit http://www.hsc.stonybrook.edu/shtm/index.cfm.