Pre-Application Requirements for the Major in Respiratory Care
1. 3 credits of English composition
2. 6 credits in the arts and/or humanities, excluding studio, skills, and techniques courses
3. 6 credits in the social and behavioral sciences
4. 11 credits in biological sciences, including 3 credits in microbiology (See Note 1)
5. 8 credits of chemistry with labs
6. 4 credits of physics with lab
7. 3 credits of statistics
8. Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) from the American Heart Association
9. 2.50 cumulative g.p.a.
10. 2.0 science g.p.a.
2. Stony Brook freshmen are eligible to declare respiratory care as a major. In addition to the requirements listed above, students in this four-year program must successfully complete HAT 210 Introduction to Respiratory Care with a grade of B or higher.
3. Courses in anatomy and physiology, logical and critical reasoning, medicine and society, and an additional physics course with lab are recommended.
For more information, please visit http://www.hsc.stonybrook.edu/shtm/index.cfm.