Pre-Application Requirements for the Major in Respiratory Care
1. 3 credits of English composition
2. 6 credits in the arts and/or humanities, excluding studio, skills, and techniques courses
3. 6 credits in the social and behavioral sciences
4. 11 credits in biological sciences, including 3 credits in microbiology (See Note 1)
5. 8 credits of chemistry with labs
6. 4 credits of physics with lab
7. 3 credits of statistics
8. Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) from the American Heart Association
9. 2.50 cumulative g.p.a.
2. Stony Brook freshmen are eligible to declare respiratory care as a major. In addition to the requirements listed above, students in this four-year program must successfully complete HAT 210 Introduction to Respiratory Care with a grade of B or higher.
3. Courses in anatomy and physiology, logical and critical reasoning, medicine and society, and an additional physics course with lab are recommended.
For more information, please visit http://www.hsc.stonybrook.edu/shtm/index.cfm.