Requirements for the Minor in Health and Wellness (LHW)
Before declaring the Health and Wellness minor, each student should plan his or her program in consultation with the director of the minor. No more than one elective course in the minor may be taken under the Pass/No Credit option; all other courses required for the minor must be passed with a letter grade of C or higher. (Note: The P/NC option carries financial implications. All students should check with their financial aid advisor before choosing this option.) All core courses must be taken at
Stony Brook University.
Declaration of the Minor
The LHW minor is open to all undergraduate students and takes approximately 4 semesters (fall/spring) to complete and
students are encouraged to declare before the start of their sophomore year but no later than the first semester of their junior year depending on target date of graduation. Students should consult with the Faculty Director as soon as possible and plan their course of study for fulfillment of their degree requirements.
Completion of the minor requires 19 credits.
1. LHW 102 Introductory Seminar to the Health Professions or HAS 190 Introduction to Health Professions
2. Six credits chosen from the following:
- BIO 201 Fundamentals of Biology: Organisms to Ecosystems
- BIO 202 Fundamentals of Biology: Molecular and Cellular Biology
- BIO 203 Fundamentals of Biology: Cellular and Organ Physiology
- HMC 200/SOC 200 Medicine and Society
- MEC 280 Pollution and Human Health
- PSY 103 Introduction to Psychology
- PSY 220 Developmental Psychology
3. Six credits chosen from the following:
- ANP 300 Human Anatomy
- ANT 350 Medical Anthropology
- BCP 394/MAR 394 Environmental Toxicology and Public Health
- BIO 320 General Genetics
- BIO 328 Mammalian Physiology or HBY 350 Physiology
- BIO 350 Darwinian Medicine
- PSY 356 Physiological Psychology
- ECO 327 Health Economics
- HBP 310 Pathology
- PSY 326 Children's Social and Emotional Development
- SOC 392 Special Topics (when topic is Health Care Delivery)
4. LHW 301 Issues in Health and Wellness
5. LHW 488 Internship in Health and Wellness; 3-credit approved internship required
Note: At least 13 credits of coursework for the minor must be in courses that are outside the student's major.