Requirements for the Minor in Media Arts (MDA)
All courses offered for the minor must be passed with a letter grade of C or higher. At least 12 of the 21 credits must be taken at Stony Brook.
Completion of the minor requires 21 credits.
A. Required Courses:
- THR 117 Media: Analysis and Culture
- THR 216 Introduction to Visual Interpretation
- THR 277 The Media Industry
- THR 403 Media: Theory and Criticism
One of the following courses:
B. Six credits, of which at least three must be numbered 300 or higher, to be chosen from among:
- AFS 463 Blacks and Mass Media
- CDT 208 Technology in the Arts
- CDT 318 Interactive Performance, Media, and MIDI
- EST 100 Societal Impact of Computers
- HUM 201 Film and Television: Genre
- HUM 202 Film and Television: History and Theory
- MUS 340 Introduction to Music Technology
- MUS 437 Electronic Music
- POL 367 Mass Media in American Politics
- THR 298 Student Media Leadership
- THR 325 Scriptwriting for Film and Television
- THR 356 Scene Design
- THR 372 Introduction to Television
- THR 375 Television Production
- THR 379 Radio News
- THR 480 Projects in Media (See Note 2)
- THR 487 Independent Research
- THR 488 Internship (appropriate topic only; See Note 2)
Notes:1. No more than six credits required for the Media Arts minor may be counted toward the theatre arts major.
2. No more than a total of six credits from THR 480 and 488 may be applied to the minor.