Requirements for the Minor in Medieval Studies (MVL)
All courses offered for the minor must be passed with a letter grade of C or higher.
Completion of the minor requires at least 21 credits.
1. MVL 141 The Legend of King Arthur
2. Two courses chosen from the following:
- HIS 235 The Early Middle Ages
- HIS 236 The Late Middle Ages
- HIS 360 Women in Premodern Europe
- MVL 241 Heroes and Warriors
3. Three of the following courses, including at least two different designators, in medieval philosophy, art, music, or literature. At least two of the courses must be numbered 300 or higher.
- ANT 361 Peasants
- ARH 305 Art and Culture of the Middle Ages
- EGL 300 Old English Literature
- EGL 302 Medieval Literature in English
- EGL 340 Chaucer
- HUF 216 French Civilization through the Ages
- HUI 216 Italian Civilization through the Ages
- HUI 235 Themes in Western European Literature: Sex, Love, and Tragedy in Early Italian Literature
- HUL 324 Romance Linguistics
- ITL 424 History of the Italian Language
- ITL 430, 431 Studies in 13th- and 14th-Century Literature
- LAT 355 Early Medieval Latin
- LAT 356 Late Medieval Latin
- MUS 350 Western Music before 1600
- MVL 241 Heroes and Warriors (if not used for Requirement 2)
- PHI 304 Medieval Philosophy
- RLS 270 Christianity
- RLS 310 Biblical Theology
- Additional relevant courses may become available. Consult the coordinator of the medieval studies minor.
Note: Also required, but not included in the 21 credits for the minor: Completion of intermediate level Latin (LAT 252) or a relevant intermediate-level European foreign language numbered 201, or 212 or higher.