Academic and Transfer Advising Services
The Academic and Transfer Advising Services Center serves students in the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Business, the School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, and the School of Journalism, as well as students interested in pursuing graduate study in the health or law professions. All upperclass students are encouraged to meet with an upperclass academic advisor and their major department advisor at least once each semester. Students obtain assistance from the Center for a variety of academic issues including:
- Planning a schedule of classes,
- Discussing course and major/minor options,
- Selecting/changing a major/minor,
- Meeting D.E.C. and general education requirements,
- Discussing academic standing issues,
- Clarifying academic policies, procedures, and regulations,
- Reviewing degree progress toward graduation,
- Discussing other educational opportunities related to an academic program,
- Discussing a petition for an exception to a policy,
- Seeking approval to take a Challenge exam,
- Learning more about the special programs offered by the Center.
The Center sponsors several outreach programs and events, including the Academic Peer Advisor Program, Major Decisions Week, and Academic Advising Day. The Center is also the home of the Golden Key International Honor Society.
For academic advising questions and other important academic information, students are encouraged to make use of the various advising resources. Students should call or stop by the Center to make a 30-minute advising appointment or to ask a quick question at the "information table" located directly outside the Center. Call to make an appointment or stop by for walk-in advising on Wednesdays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Students seeking Pre-health or Pre-law advising should visit the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs, E-3310 Melville Library.
Office: Academic and Transfer Advising Services Center
E-2360 Melville Library
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3353
Telephone: (631) 632-7082, option 1
Fax: (631) 632-6997
Pre-Health E-mail: email@example.com
Pre-Law E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Monday: 10:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; Tuesday-Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Web sites: General Advising: http://studentaffairs.stonybrook.edu/apac/index.shtml
Pre-Health Advising: http://studentaffairs.stonybrook.edu/prehealth/index.shtml/
Pre-Law Advising: http://studentaffairs.stonybrook.edu/prelaw/index.shtml