About Academic Policies
Policies and requirements of students are applied based on academic milestones or on the university calendar. A student milestone includes completion of a certain number of credits, matriculation at the University, or declaration of a major or minor. See also “Which Major and Minor Requirements apply to me?”
Unless stated otherwise, academic policies are considered in effect as of the most recent publication of the online bulletin, or around April 1 for Summer/Fall and November 1 for Winter/Spring. The University reserves the right to amend the Undergraduate Bulletin at any time and without notice to reflect modifications in policy, law, or regulation. Potential alterations might include, by way of example only, degree requirements, course offerings, fees, and calendar listings. In the event of a change, the university will attempt but is not required to notify students.
Several policies are considered in effect as of the first day of matriculation, as of completing a university milestone, on a semester-by-semester basis, or on a rolling basis. Examples of policies are below. For students returning to the university after a leave of absence or withdrawal, see also Leave of Absence and Returning to the University.
- policies that are in effect as of when a student matriculates or rematriculates
- e.g., Gen Ed (DEC), credit requirements and degree requirements
- policies dependent upon student action or achievement
- i.e., declaration of a major or minor
- Major and minor requirements or course information does not change for a given semester after students have begun to enroll for that semester.
- See “which major and minor requirements apply to me?” in this Bulletin
- Course prerequisites, grading and content of individual courses.
- Major and minor requirements or course information does not change for a given semester after students have begun to enroll for that semester
- Policies that are in effect for all students at the time of policy implementation or revision
- e.g., all other policies not covered in matriculation, semester or milestone policies