Appeals and Grievance Procedures

A variety of appeals and grievance procedures are available. These complement other means to address and resolve concerns of graduate students, such as the Graduate Student Organization, Graduate Student Employees Union, the Graduate Student Advocate, and for graduate research assistants, the Research Foundation. Students encountering difficulties with program or Graduate School policy or procedure, or with faculty or staff, should discuss the problem with their advisors and their graduate program directors whenever possible.

• The graduate program director or program chair may refer a student’s grievance to the Departmental Grievance Committee, which may not include anyone named in an individual grievance case.

• Grievances that either cannot be resolved or should not be reviewed at the department/program level may be brought to the dean of the Graduate School. The dean will consult as needed with the Graduate Council Appeals Committee.

• Grievances that involve allegations of scholarly m